Friday, October 14, 2011

Halloweener #1 - Fake Organs!


The month of October is upon us, and with it comes changing colors, falling leaves, colder weather, and creeping dread. Yes, my second favorite holiday, Halloween, is quickly approaching, and in celebration of it, I'm doing reviews of my favorite goodies of this unholiest of traditions. While I'd like to have gotten started sooner, I'm satisfied with having the time to do this at all. So, lets get this thing rolling.



A recent trip to the dollar store unearthed these goodies, along with several other oddities that I'll be unleashing in the coming days. Not to get off topic, but I'd like to say how integral dollar stores are to my holiday traditions. It's a great feeling to have a whole house decorated for a particular day, but to do it for under $10? Just wonderful. Plus, it makes me feel powerful to go into one of these stores with a twenty dollar bill and know nothing is out of my price range. I wind up going insane, blacking out, and waking up in the street with a hundred cans of expired gravy. Not my proudest moment.



Anyway, back to my subject. There was a more varied selection, but I stuck to the basest of organs, the brain and the heart. I've wanted to buy these since the first time I laid eyes on them. The fake butcher wrap is an amazing touch, and keeps them from being just another prop. Possibly my favorite feature of them is the "Nutrition Fun Facts" stickers on the wrapper. Lame jokes like "Fat Content - Clogged" on the heart make them more than a grim decoration, and they managed to sneak a Silence of the Lambs reference on the brain's label.

There's a few nice applications I can think of for these lovely little things. Sure, you can leave them on the table next to the food at your Halloween party, but add a small tube and hand pump to the hollow rubber heart, and you've got a beating creepshow. Stick them in your refrigerator to startle your family, or better yet, slip them in the meat case at your grocery store for an even bigger fright. Plus, if you're morbid like me, you can keep them out out-of-season for a great conversation starter. I can think of worse ways to spend a buck.


No comments:

Post a Comment