Sunday, October 23, 2011

Halloweener #7 - Spooky Window Clings!

 I have a love/hate relationship when it comes to decorating for the holidays. Love to look at the completed product, hate to actually put any effort into putting any decorations up. When I decorate, that usually means setting ready-made products down on any cleared-off area and bitching when anyone moves them. So, obviously, these window clings were right up my alley. Easy to put up, take down, or just leave up and call it art.
I went with the three most interesting cling sets the dollar store had to offer. Universal Monsters, Goosebumps, and a fuggin six-and-a-half foot tall Dracula. I take back the backhanded compliment of the first sentence. These would be amazing at any price point, and the fact that I didn't pay more than a dollar for each is just gravy, brotha. I mean, SIX FOOT DRACULA! That's gotta be worth some street cred.
I decided the back door's window would be a good place for the Universal Monsters set. Love these to death, man. I may just leave these up all year. I really wouldn't mind seeing Lon Chaney and Bela Lugosi every time I went to the backyard. Can't say I wouldn't like more of a variety in the characters they chose, or that I'm not peeved that the Wolfman didn't get a head-and-shoulders shot, but that's just nitpicking. At least they included the Invisible Man.
The Goosebumps set is an entirely different, but still awesome, affair. The more popular books, like The Haunted Mask, are represented here, along with Curly, the official mascot that never actually appeared in any stories. Also included are the Goosebumps logo, several sets of scary eyes, and some gross bugs that have a tenuous grasp on the book series. Either way, I'm pretty happy with it. I picked the freezer door for these, cause who doesn't like a good startle when reaching for an ice pop?
See that? Yeah, from 1996, baby. No nostalgic new products here, these are the real deal. Though, given the dollar store I picked these up at, finding a fifteen year old product isn't that surprising.
Now comes the big guy. Unfortunately, I failed to realize exactly how big. Six-and-a-half feet is a-lot-and-a-half feet. He wouldn't fit on any of the windows in my house, and none of the walls are empty enough to accommodate such a large vampire. Also, this guy isn't an actual cling. No, he's made to cling to special paper that you're supposed to stick to the walls first, then create a scene with Drac and other plastic sets. Still, he's just too awesome, and I already took the pictures.
So, with windows and walls out of the picture, the only other option were doors. The front and back doors already covered in Halloween regalia, the last choice was the bathroom door. I decided on the outside, because I don't like being watched while I poop. Sticking him up was a real pain in the ass, as I had to use tape, and the top of the door was so dusty the tape wouldn't stick. Do you dust the tops of your doors? If so, leave a comment, then leave another comment stating why you'd admit to dusting your doors to a stranger on the internet.
Anyhow, with a little trimming, and a lot of tape, Drac was ready to go. Giving a whole new meaning to scared shitless. Full disclosure: I put all of these up and took the pictures a couple nights ago, and Dracula's already a big hit with my family, in that some of them want to hit me. When you open my bathroom door, the outside of it faces the mirror, and it looks like there's a vampire behind you. Pranks weren't really my goal with this guy, but I'm not complaining.

So, Halloween is fast approaching. I'm not entirely sure I'll get done with everything I wanted to blog about, but it's been incredibly fun so far. It's actually put me in the Halloween spirit, which I haven't really been in for years, barring a few monster movie marathons. What exactly am I getting at? I really don't know. I just hope your Halloween season is as fun as mine is.

BONUS!

Did you buy these?
Cut them like so.
Roll them up.
Eat them all at once. So good.

BONUS no.2!

Don't forget my Halloween YouTube playlist! I've added more songs!

No comments:

Post a Comment