Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Halloweener #4 - Monster Mash and other Terrifying Tunes!

 As a self-proclaimed music snob, it's with a more than a little guilt that I state my love for horrible supermarket compilation CDs. You know the type, albums with hits culled from specific time periods or following a theme, only re-recorded by session musicians for far less the cost of licensing the original recordings. It stands to reason that, spying Monster Mash and Other Terrifying Tunes in the Walmart CD section for a paltry $3, I'd have to buy it. And buy it I did, and now you're gonna have to deal with it.
 Packaged in this garishly illustrated cover with a layer of foil ink that would blind an owl, this CD is loaded with the usual suspects in scary songs. Along with the prerequisite tunes (Ghostbusters, I Put A Spell On You, the titular Monster Mash) are a few odd choices, like In The Midnight Hour and Love Potion no. 9. I suppose these songs have a tenuous grasp on the unholiest of holidays, but other, more appropriate ones exist.

The music is handled capably, though not without it's faults. The obviously programmed drums are too tinny and sharp. They sound like a product of the 80's, and while that works for a song like Ghostbusters, it fails to jive with the other tunes. Likewise, it seems every horn part on this CD is played on a cheap Casio. While this can be viewed as a downfall, I love it. It adds to the cheap charm of a set like this.

Interspersed with these knock-off renditions of Halloween hits are orchestral songs that sound like they were recorded with an actual orchestra. But even these seem a little off. For example, the Halloween-y Batman movie theme is played in a medley with the theme from Robin Hood. The all-strings Psycho Theme is excellent, but what is labeled "Twilight Zone" is anything but. The familiar Twilight Zone theme never threatens to make an appearance in this Disney-esque piece.

My favorite song on this thing has to be Purple People Eater. While I've always hated this song, the entire approach here is so over the top that I can't help but love it. The lead gives his best Elvis impression, the programmed drums do anything but swing with the rest of the musicians, and the background vocalists sound like they're being choked to death while singing. It kind of sums up the whole ironic point of this compilation. It's fun in spite of itself.

BONUS: SENTIENT VENDING MACHINE'S HALLOWEEN YOUTUBE PLAYLIST!

I've put together a playlist of my favorite Halloween music on YouTube! Check it out, leave some comments here telling me what you'd like to hear on it. I'm always adding more music to it!

CHECK OUT THE PLAYLIST HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment