Saturday, October 15, 2011

Halloweener #2 - Scary Blackberry Ghoul-Aid!

Kool-Aid has taken the hint. They understand that their fanbase has grown. They not only serve the youth of America, but the nerdy adults that grew up drinking their sugary concoction. This has shown itself in the recent wave of seasonal flavors (though I personally won't be satisfied until the return of Cherry Cracker Kool-Aid ). The most recent and frightening of these is Scary Blackberry Ghoul-Aid.

It's takes huge cajones to re-brand the drink as Ghoul-Aid, relegating to actual Kool-Aid logo to a much smaller font, and my hat would be off to them for it, if I wore hats. The choice of blackberry seems to be purely aesthetic. Black is the deepest color of our dark souls, "scary" rhymes with "berry", and I can think of much more frightening fruits. The package is complete with the three Official Colors of Halloween (black, purple, and green), and the Kool-Aid man is decked out in a vaguely Dracula-like costume. One thing of note, and this may be common now, but I noticed the lack of Kool-Aid points on the back. i have fond memories of saving these little proofs of purchase to send in to the company for cheap crap I didn't need, but that's a subject for another article. I (likely belatedly) mourn their loss.

One thing I noticed is, the powder is a nauseating pink. However, once it makes contact with water, it turns a sickening shade of green. Once stirred, it seems more purple with green tints. This ain't the black I was expecting. The green is even more apparent when poured into my Goblet Of Dark Rituals And For When My Other Cups Are Dirty. Pictured, The Hooded Dark One looks on with approval.

The taste isn't bad, but isn't exceptional. I can think of other dark drinks for your Halloween party or shindig or seance or whatever. If you can still find it, Mountain Dew Pitch Black is far better while still using a similar flavor palate. Still, you can't fault Kool-Aid for trying, and hopefully, if this is successful, we'll be seeing other seasonal flavors of this delicious sugar water. Like my dear, departed Cherry Cracker.

Please, Kool-Aid.

Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment