Monday, October 24, 2011

Halloweener #8 - Peanuts Wood Scene!


The Peanuts characters are nearly as synonymous with Halloween as they are with Christmas. The viewing of "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" is one of the great traditions of the holiday. I go so far as to dump a few rocks in the candy bags of the more dumpy-looking kids when they come to my door. I find it surprising when I don't find a child passed out in a pumpkin patch the next morning. I don't have the heart to tell him the Great Pumpkin isn't real. Why am I rambling on about Peanuts and Halloween? BECAUSE COLORING.
Yes, I picked the bizarrely named "Peanuts Wood Scene" up at the crafts store. Don't ask me why I was in the crafts store, it will all be revealed in time, maybe. Anyway, I knew I couldn't leave the store without this thing, lack of money be damned. Linus with his arms raised in wonder, Sally with a big grin on her face, unaware of the disappointment she'll soon have to deal with, it's all too magical. And I get to COLOR IT!
Here we see the sad little pack of markers the kit comes with. No where near the expanse of pallet I need to make my masterpiece. Why color at all if I can't make puke-green and gray leaves, and sky blue pumpkins? I guess I'll just have to deal with it, and color everything the color they're supposed to be. Dammit.
The colors actually went on pretty easily, and for as cheap-looking as they are, the markers never threatened to run out. That's good, because I was broke and couldn't run to the store for a Crayola backup. I quickly realized that I had a major problem, though: good 'ol Chuck Schultz's art was never meant to be colored. While it looked fine in back and white, I couldn't tell what was a leaf or a vine when colored. To make matters worse, the one shade of green the marker set came with was far too dark to be used too much. I didn't want Linus and Sally to look like they were floating on pumpkins in an under-cleaned pool. So, I had to use my head a little, and colored some of the leaves red and orange. I mean, those are fall colors, right? I'd like to see you do a better job!
The package came with a tube of what they call "shiny glaze". There aren't any instructions, so I'm not entirely sure what this is supposed to be used for. I assume you put it over the finished product to protect the color or just make it sparkle or whatnot. Honestly, it just looks like someone spilled frosting or something more *ahem*...sinister on my coloring. I tried adding it after I colored, but it just made all the colors run together and smear, so I quickly ditched that idea. My coloring goes outside the lines just as well by itself, thank you.
So, here's my finished coloring, and it looks pretty snazzy, if I do say so myself. I mean, since it's just a piece of wood, I have no idea of what I'm gonna actually do with the thing. I guess I could leave it where it is, but it falls if someone bumps it or breathes on it or thinks about it, so I dunno. I guess this one was more about the journey than the destination.

HEY! Don't forget about my YouTube Playlist! Still adding more songs! Use it for your big Halloween get-together!

No comments:

Post a Comment